8-year-old boy electrocuted while playing in Bengaluru school; principal arrested
A student of class three who was playing on the first floor of the school building got electrocuted as he touched the live wires powering CCTV cameras that ran along iron grills. The principal of the school has been arrested.
Bengaluru: Live wires powering CCTV cameras and drawn along iron grills in a school in Bengaluru claimed the life of an eight-year-old boy on June 1.
M Akshay, a class three student of St. Francis Convent School in Jambusavari Dinne in Konanakunte near JP Nagar was playing on the first floor of the school building when he touched one of the live wires that powered the CCTV cameras. The school had installed the cameras on first floor and drawn wires along the iron grills.
According to reports, the students had a 20-minute break during which Akshay was playing. He was holding on to the iron grills on the first floor. Some of the wires that ran along the iron grills were skinned in the previous night’s rain. Akshay was holding one such grill when he got electrocuted.
Akshay’s father, M Muniraju, filed a complaint against the management of the school. Police arrested the school principal Mary Alice. She was booked under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) section 304 for causing death due to negligence.
The family members said that they cannot blame the school management completely as this was a clear case of an accident. They have filed a case and will let it take its course, reports said.
Reports claimed that Muniraju spoke of how the school offered education to students at such low fees and he also said that once the rituals were over he would go and meet the school management to tell them that it was an accident.
Akshay was the third of Muniraju couple’s four sons. The elder sons are studying in the same school. The youngest son is five-years-old and is yet to join school. Muniraju is a milk vendor in Jambusavari Dinne.