Asianet News English

Supreme Court clarifies: No contempt case against Rajdeep Sardesai

The Supreme Court has clarified that no suo motu contempt case had been registered against journalist Rajdeep Sardesai for his tweets.

Stating that its website had inadvertently shown that a case had been registered against the journalist, the apex court issued a late-night clarification.

The late-night clarification came moments after reports emerged that a case had been registered against Rajdeep based on a petition filed by an individual under Article 129 of the Constitution to the Chief Justice of India seeking initiating contempt proceedings against the journalist.

Media reports had noted that the Apex Court had gone ahead with the case despite Attorney General K K Venugopal on September 17, 2020, declining his consent to initiate contempt action against Sardesai.

Supreme Court Deputy Registrar (public relation) Rakesh Sharma said the clarification was being released after news channels carried reports that suo motu criminal contempt proceedings had initiated against Rajdeep Sardesai by the Supreme Court. 

Status shown at the Supreme Court's website vide case no SMC (Crl) 02/2021 has been placed inadvertently. Appropriate action to rectify the same is under process, he said.

Supreme Court says no contempt case against Rajdeep Sardesai-VPN
Author
New Delhi, First Published Feb 17, 2021, 9:46 AM IST
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp

The Supreme Court has clarified that no suo motu contempt case had been registered against journalist Rajdeep Sardesai for his tweets.

Stating that its website had inadvertently shown that a case had been registered against the journalist, the apex court issued a late-night clarification.

The late-night clarification came moments after reports emerged that a case had been registered against Rajdeep based on a petition filed by an individual under Article 129 of the Constitution to the Chief Justice of India seeking initiating contempt proceedings against the journalist.

Media reports had noted that the Apex Court had gone ahead with the case despite Attorney General K K Venugopal on September 17, 2020, declining his consent to initiate contempt action against Sardesai.

Supreme Court Deputy Registrar (public relation) Rakesh Sharma said the clarification was being released after news channels carried reports that suo motu criminal contempt proceedings had initiated against Rajdeep Sardesai by the Supreme Court. 

Status shown at the Supreme Court's website vide case no SMC (Crl) 02/2021 has been placed inadvertently. Appropriate action to rectify the same is under process, he said.

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios