The CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action) jawan who is missing after the ambush on the Sukma-Bijapur border on Saturday is allegedly being held captive by the Maoists.

Twenty-two security personnel were killed and at least 30 more were wounded in the four-hour gun battle with Maoists that took place in the forests of Bijapur in Chhattisgarh on April 2. This was the bloodiest ambush of its kind in four years.

Meanwhile, according to a report on News18, at least two local journalists said on Monday they received calls from a mystery person who claimed a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) commando was in the captivity of Maoists after a deadly gunfight in Chhattisgarh last week, even as his wife appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union home minister Amit Shah to ensure his safe return.

The caller informed that the commando, who went missing 48 hours ago during the encounter at the borders of Sukma and Bijapur districts,  was safe and will not be harmed, according to the journalists.

On Saturday, a 600-member strong team of Maoists and their sympathisers ambushed a security team in the remote Tarrem area, killing 22 personnel in one of the worst attacks linked to Left-wing extremism. The attack was suspected to have been led by notorious Maoist commander Madvi Hidma.

On Sunday, when the rescue terms were still scouring for bodies at the ambush site, Bastar Inspector General of Police P Sundarraj had confirmed that one constable, Rakeshwar Singh Manhas of the CoBRA unit of the Central Reserve Police Force, was alive but missing.

Since then, the security agencies, including the CRPF and the district police, have been making frantic phone calls to sources within Bijapur, including local journalists, to make enquiries, reported the newspaper.

But three days later, the police were yet to ascertain the missing soldier’s whereabouts.

“We have received information that he is alive and was taken by them [Maoists],” Bijapur Superintendent of Police Kamlochan Kashyap was quoted by The Indian Express. “We are investigating further.”

Bastar Range Inspector General of Police Sunderaj P said the police was committed to bringing the commando back, and that they were waiting to confirm whether the information about his abduction was true. He said the police found out that he was being held captive by Naxalites through social media, reported ANI.