- The classes are conducted following an instruction from Kerala Police Chief
- Classes range from security precautions to evacuation procedures to be followed on spotting an explosive
- Kerala Police bomb squad also issued a list of instructions to be followed on spotting a bomb
In a first of its kind, the Student Police Cadet (SPC), a school-based youth development initiative by the Kerala Police, has started to impart awareness classes on bomb detection in schools across the state. Kerala Police decided to create awareness among students in the wake of a recent bomb threat that spread panic at a school in Karunagappally in Kollam.
On November 10, Base Movement or Indian wing of Al-Qaeda had issued a bomb threat to five schools in Karunagappally. The news spread panic and bomb squad of Kerala police conducted checks at the schools and found that the threat was a hoax.
Following this state police chief instructed SPC carry out awareness classes on bomb detection in schools across the state.
The New Indian Express reports that the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad of Kerala Police will conduct the classes to student police cadets. The classes range from safety precautions to be taken on spotting an explosive and evacuation procedures to clear the area. The initiative will help to prevent any untoward incidents in the school, a senior police officer said.
Kerala Police bomb squad also issued a list of instructions to be followed on spotting an explosive.
- You should take extreme caution and avoid operating any electronic device including mobile phone or camera as we don't know what will trigger an explosion. Sometimes a mobile signal or flash of the camera is likely to trigger an explosion.
- Do not attempt to defuse the bomb or cut any circuit
- Evacuate the area and make sure that every person is at a safe distance
- Do not spread panic and walk out of the area quietly
- If the explosive is found in a building, ensure air circulation and open all windows, doors and even cupboards before leaving
- Avoid lifts, escalators and conveyors
- Make sure to cut off gas and electric supply before leaving
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 7:04 PM