Mangaluru: A total of 24 cases have been registered in connection with violence that broke out in Mangaluru during anti-CAA protests on December 19. Mangaluru Police have arrested 12 people so far in connection with the attack on Bunder police station incident.

Two people were killed in police firing and Karnataka CM had announced ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh each for the victims’ kin. However, the ex-gratia was withdrawn and CM BS Yediyurappa said the compensation would be given only after probe is complete and if the victims are found not guilty.

A team from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) has reportedly commenced the groundwork for its probe into the violence.

Earlier, eight people were arrested in relation to the violence. On Thursday, four more persons were arrested. With this, the number of arrested rose to 12, Commissioner of Police Dr PS Harsha said. He also said that more people are being identified by viewing videos, CCTV footage and photographs.

All the arrested were produced before court and the investigation is in progress.

PS Harsha also said that the footage sent by the public helped identify the alleged suspects and that the commissionerate has been receiving more footage of the incident.

The police released a series of crowd-sourced videos showing incidents of stone-pelting and arson to justify the firing of bullets. The footage obtained by police clearly showed that the violence was pre-planned and masked youths planned to attack police by pelting stones at them and also shifting away the frame of CCTV cameras, so nothing is recorded.

Reacting to the footage that had gone viral, Karnataka CM BS Yediyurappa said that stringent action will be taken against those who planned the Mangaluru violence.

Yediyurappa, speaking to the media in Mangaluru had stated “The truth behind Mangaluru riots has come to light, and a well-thought-out conspiracy tried to instigate the riot in Mangaluru.” Adding further he said, “Whoever was involved in instigating the protests will be arrested soon.”