North Korean negotiator Kim Myong-Gil reportedly attributed the breakdown of denuclearisation talks to the failure of the US to come up with another proposal. Myong-Gil stated that the United Sates had not changed its old viewpoint and attitude.
Washington DC: Denuclearisation talks between United States and North Korea concluded abruptly according to reports. Representatives from both the countries met in Sweden after collapse of dialog between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un during a summit in February.
North Korean negotiator Kim Myong-Gil reportedly attributed the break down to the failure of the US to come up with another proposal. Myong-Gil stated that the United States had not changed its old viewpoint and attitude.
The North Korean representative reportedly called for suspension of talks and said that the US could chose to correct its course or end possibility of any talks between the countries.
However, US State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement, "The early comments from the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) delegation do not reflect the content or the spirit of today's 8-and-a-half-hour discussion.
Ortagus stated there were good discussions held between US and North Korean counterparts and that they previewed many initiatives that could provide for progress on the four main points agreed upon in Singapore in the summit between Trump and Kim.
Kim had earlier said that the talks were "held at a crucial moment when the situation on the Korean peninsula stands at the crossroads of dialogue or confrontation " and remarked that negotiations had finally broken up.
The denuclearisation talks aim at an agreement in which north Korea works towards complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula in exchange for US security guarantees.
In this it also hopes to establish fresh ties between the two countries and repatriate remains of American troops killed in the 1950-53 Korean War.
South Korea's foreign ministry issued a statement Sunday and expressed hope for the dialogue to continue despite the breakdown.
It also hoped that the initiation of the talks would gain momentum and continue.
The statement also added that its government will work closely with the US to ensure dialogue is maintained.
Last Updated 6, Oct 2019, 12:49 PM IST