- Elections for 58 seats, including four from Karnataka for the Rajya Sabha, are being held on Friday
- Victory for BJP candidate Rajeev Chandrasekhar is sure as he is expected to get 50 votes
- There was ruckus as JD(S) candidate BM Farooq and leader HD Revanna alleged that agents were favouring Congress
- Voting was stalled for a while but it has resumed now
Elections for 58 seats, including four from Karnataka for the Rajya Sabha, are being held on Friday. From Karnataka, BJP has fielded Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Congress has fielded L Hanumanthaiah, Nasir Hussein and JC Chandrashekhar whereas JD(S) has fielded BM Farooq.
BJP candidate Rajeev is contesting for the third term and this time is expected to get at least 50 votes and secure the seat. The minimum votes one needs to win the election is 44. Earlier Rajeev had contested as an independent and had joined BJP recently.
Karnataka BJP Chief BS Yeddyurappa said that Rajeev is sure to get 50 votes.
But JD(S) candidate and leader HD Revanna alleged that the election agent MS Murthy was acting like a Congress agent and was supporting the party leaders. Congress leader Chinchansur had cast his vote to a candidate from another party, so the agent saw the mistake and gave him another ballot paper to cast his vote to the Congress candidate.
Citing this, JD(S) staged a protest, filed a complaint in this regard to the chief election officer and now has demanded to cancel election, alleging that the Congress was indulged in malpractice.
In fact, Congress was supposed to support the JD(S) candidate in the Rajya Sabha elections for one seat and field two candidates from their party. But Congress decided to field three candidates from their party and now JD(S) has fielded BM Farooq. Karnataka is fighting for four MP seats.
However, this ruckus led to stalling of election process for some time. But after a while, the election process was resumed. The election will continue till 4 PM and results will be announced in the evening.
* 7 JD(S) Rebel leaders to cast their votes shortly
* JD(S) contemplating boycotting Rajya Sabha elections, says party chief HD Kumaraswamy. To take a decision after the meeting with party members
* Meanwhile JD(S) rebel leaders walk into the venue. All of them are expected to join Congress officially on Sunday (March 25)
* JD(S) rebels to cast their votes to Congress candidate JCChandrashekhar, say Suvarna sources
* Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has stated that the three candidates fielded from Congress will win the Rajya Sabha election
* The seven rebel JD(S), who have been expelled from the party, are said to be submitting their resignations to the Speaker on March 24
* Reacting to the allegations, returning officer Murthy said that he had taken permission from the Election Commission to give the second ballot paper
Last Updated 4, Apr 2018, 7:10 PM IST