- Over 10,000 Anganwadi are protesting in Bengaluru for a pay hike.
- The women have been protesting for over two decade.
- The protesters have refused to call off the strike, till their demands are met.
For over 20 years, the Anganwadi workers of the state have held several protests to demand a pay hike.
However, now the anger and disappointment seem to have reached its peak, as thousands of women from across the state have laid siege to Bengaluru roads to force the Karnataka government to act.
Even chief minister Siddaramaiah, who held a meeting with representatives of the Karnataka State Anganwadi Workers’ Association, failed to convince the protesters to retreat. The protest now has entered its second day, and there is no sign of them relenting.
Even though the CM has said that the government wants to help the workers, it has refused to give an assurance citing the model code of conduct enforced until the completion of byelections in Nanjangud and Gundlupet.
The protesters have refused to budge from their demands.
Here are some 10 of the demands placed by the workers:
* The workers want a hike in their salaries from Rs 6,000 to Rs 10,000.
* The workers want the government to promise that their salaries will be paid on 5th of every month.
* The workers should be given special benefits plus an annual increment.
* Reappoint 81 workers from different districts who were suspended for various reasons.
* All pending bills should be cleared immediately.
* Frame a guideline of code of conduct and any disciplinary action should be initiated only as per the guideline.
* Medical leave should be paid leave and funds for medical operation should be increased to Rs 1 lakh.
* Departmental inquiry against government, other officials who harass Anganwadi teachers and helpers
* Allowances should be paid according to seniority
* PAN card for all Anganwadi teachers and helpers
* The workers should be entitled to retirement benefits.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:34 PM IST