- The Congress party had sidelined former Karnataka chief minister SM Krishna
- He was disappointed with the developments in the Congress party
- He was not happy with decisions CM Siddaramaiah was taking
- Here are eight reasons which might have led his to resign from Congress party
A veteran Congress leader SM Krishna was not happy with the latest developments taking place in the Congress party. After meeting Sonia Gandhi on January 26, where he expressed his disappointment about the working of the likes of Chief Minister and Siddaramaiah and others, Krishna took the decision to resign from the party on January 27. He sent in his papers at 11 am on Saturday to AICC President Sonia Gandhi.
1) SM Krishna was made to resign as the External Affairs Minister on 22 October 2012. This was the first shock he received from the party but decided not to act against it.
2) Krishna was not given any active role to play in the 2013 Karnataka Assembly election, and his supporters were denied tickets.
3) Following this, he was even kept out of the Cabinet formation. Though SM Krishna is a veteran leader. He was not consulted before taking any decisions on Cabinet formation.
4) He was not given any prominent role in state as well as national politics. Krsihna quit as Maharashtra governor in 2014 as he wanted to be in the active politics. But all he got was the chance to serve in the Rajya Sabha for one term.
5) Former Minister Srinivas Prasad’s resignation from Congress made Krishna vocal about his disappointment about the developments in the party. Srinivas Prasad quit Congress as he was removed from the Siddaramaiah Cabinet. Recently, Prasad joined BJP.
6) He wanted to contest for Rajya Sabha seat from Karnataka but was not supported by the party leaders. He served as the Rajya Sabha member from 2008 to 2014. But when he wanted to contest again, he was not supported by the party.
7) Considered to be his close aide, DK Shivakumar too did not come forward to support Krishna. This hurt the veteran leader. DK Shivakumar is currently the Minister for Energy and was hailed as the man behind helping CM Siddaramaiah during the Cauvery water sharing row between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
8) Krishna’s statement praising Modi had irked the Congress high command
“Money has a major role in politics. If Narendra Modi can bring a change in this matter, he’ll be hailed by the entire nation.” Krishna had said after he was conferred with ‘Rashtra Ratna’ award by Paryaya Pejavar Sri Vishweshateertha Swamiji at a function held at Srikrishna Mutt in Udupi.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:49 PM