- Congress wins in both Gundlupet and Nanjangud constituencies
- BJP was overconfident of its victory
So, what really factored Congress' win and BJP's loss. We list out a few.
1. Choosing Geetha Mahadeva Prasad, wife of late minister HS Mahadeva Prasad, as its candidate in Gundlupet. Bypolls were necessitated after the demise of Mahadevaprasad. The sympathy wave worked in favour of Geetha.
2. The ugly comment made by Mysuru BJP MP Prathap Simha helped the votes to tilt in favour of Geetha. It may be recalled here that Prathap had commented that "She enjoyed all the powers when her husband was a minister. Now, after performing final rituals, she is contesting the election." Although BJP parliamentarian apologised, the damage was done.
3. In Nanjangud, Prasad's personal battle against Chief Minister Siddaramaiah did more good to Congress. After being dropped from the cabinet, Prasad forced by-election and joined BJP. But voters were not kind to his "opportunistic politics."
4. Congress won the brownie points as JD(S) did not field any candidates this time.
Why BJP lost
1. BJP miscalculated its strategy. Besides, its overconfidence of having former Congress minister SM Krishna on its side certainly did not bring votes.
2. Nanjangud has the significant Dalit and Lingayat votes. But neither the party's dalit face Srinivas Prasad nor Lingayat strongman Yeddyurappa helped the party in any way.
3. While Yeddyurappa along with his colleagues camped in the region and held hectic campaigns, Srinivas Prasad hardly came out to campaign, citing ill-health.
4. Even SM Krishna did not hold any campaigns even though Gundlupet and Nanjangud were close to his home turf, Mandya.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:46 PM IST