On April 25, Hyderabad High Court asked Ministry of External Affairs and the state of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh to file their reply regarding various issues faced by wives of NRIs within India and outside. The notices have been issued in a PIL addressing the problem of desertion of wives by their NRI husbands for getting ex-parte divorce decrees from courts in abroad. 

The PIL has been filed by Archana Pydah of Hyderabad and her counsel Vasudha Nagaraj pointed out that due to massive legal fee and costs related to justice dispensation system in countries, such as the USA, it is difficult got Indian wives to secure justice there, reported the Times of India.

Though the central government after various efforts by NGOs, women’s welfare groups, and law commission has decided to provide $3000 for legal assistance for anyone facing such a situation but according to the counsel, this amount is grossly inadequate. 

The counsel further suggested that India should sign Mutual Legal Assistance Treaties (MLAT) for assisting every single wife facing the ordeal. Also, the government should appoint a panel of qualified lawyers in Indian embassies abroad to give necessary assistance in any such incident, Nagaraj added.

Though from time to time, various recommendations have been made by statutory bodies but much of them are yet to be implemented.