A huge fire broke out on Thursday night when a large number of liquefied natural gas cylinders blasted off at the HPCL (Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited) godown in Cherlapally on the outskirts of Hyderabad. No human loss was reported.
The reason for the fire breakout is said to have been triggered by short-circuit at a nearby transformer which spread to the LPG gas godown. Hundreds of cylinders caught fire and the exploding cylinder shells fell on nearby residential areas.
GHMC (Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation) Commissioner B Janardhan Reddy said that fire engines were rushed from Cherlapally, Malkajgiri, Moula Ali, Musheerabad and Shameerpet to put out the fire. Police evacuated the area and diverted traffic. Power in the nearby areas was disconnected to prevent spread of fire.
The cause of the fire can be detected only when the fire is extinguished said the police.