Boy touches high-tension wire accidentally while playing cricket; suffers 40% burns
Nikhil, a 14-year-old, went to fetch a cricket ball from his neighbour’s terrace, after which he suffered 40% burns due to touching a high-tension wire.
Bengaluru: A 14-year-old Nikhil suffered severe burns and injuries after he came in contact with a live high-tension wire on the terrace of his neighbour’s house in Mathikere on Tuesday. Nikhil, a Class 9 student studying in a private school, is the son of Amaresh and Ramadevi, residents of Netaji Circle. Amaresh works as a supervisor in an apartment complex, while Ramadevi is a homemaker.
Doctors have said that he is currently stable and under observation in Victoria Hospital. Nikhil’s parents have filed a case against the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) and Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Ltd (KPTCL). Residents have also accused BESCOM of negligence.
A senior police officer narrated the entire incident which took place. Around 11:30 am, when Nikhil and his friends were playing cricket on the road, the ball landed in his neighbour’s terrace, which Nikhil went to retrieve. Nikhil picked up the ball and was about to throw it back to his friends, when his raised arm touched an overhead wire, after which he suffered shock and immediately collapsed.
Passersby and neighbours rushed to help the victim and moved him to a private hospital after which he was shifted to Victoria Hospital. Amaresh was out of town when the incident took place.
BESCOM officials said in a release, “The minimum vertical of the 66Kv line should be 4m from the top of the building. In this case, vertical clearance is not mentioned and this led to the mishap. A notice has been issued to the building owner by KPTCL for violating norms.”
Jayaprakash MC, BBMP corporator of Mathikere, told The New Indian Express that the mayor has assured the family of compensation and that the government officials might take a call to remove the high-tension wire.