The blaze erupted around 4.30 pm on October 4 in the ground-plus-three-storey structure, located near Juma mosque in South Mumbai
Mumbai: A fire which broke out more than 40 hours ago in a commercial building in a cutlery market in Mumbai is yet to be brought under control even as two personnel were injured while dousing flames, officials said on Tuesday (October 6).
Two fire brigade personnel were injured on Monday (October 5) during the operation. They were rushed to the hospital and later discharged after treatment.
The blaze erupted around 4.30 pm on Sunday (October 4) in the ground-plus-three-storey structure, located near Juma mosque in South Mumbai.
It was initially tagged as a ''level-3'' (major) fire but was later escalated to ''level-4'' ((massive), the officials said.
According to reports, there was a small electric short circuit on Sunday afternoon at a cutlery shop in the market which later caused a major fire in the night.
After receiving information about the fire, as many as nine fire engines, seven jumbo tankers, two turn-table ladders, two aerial ladder platforms, a Quick Response Vehicle (QRV) were rushed to the spot to bring the blaze under control.
As the building has godowns housing garments, cutlery and chemicals, thick smoke was emanating from it, making it difficult to put out the inferno, another fire official earlier said.
He said this is probably the first time after the 2012 blaze in the state secretariat that a firefighting operation has gone on for so long in the metropolis.
The fire-fighting teams are still trying to douse the flames and carrying out search operations in the affected areas.
Last Updated 6, Oct 2020, 9:54 AM