In a tragic incident, a seven-year-old girl who was suffering from dengue died in a Gurugram hospital. However, what is appalling is the fact that the hospital charged the girl’s parents Rs 16 lakh for 15 days in the ICU.

The girl died while being shifted from Fortis to Rockland Hospital and it was Fortis hospital that charged the exorbitant amount.

The family of the deceased, Adya Singh, alleged that the doctors continued her treatment in the ICU, in full knowledge that her condition had deteriorated beyond cure.

“The doctors kept the child in ICU for so many days, but her brain had already damaged gradually which the doctors deliberately did not test. They continued the treatment knowing that her brain was dead,” Jayant Singh, father of the deceased told ANI.

“I want to appeal for an investigation and if any changes are required in the laws, they should be made. Would not like other people to suffer like we did,” the victim’s father said.

A Twitter user @DopeFloat in a post on twitter alleged that the hospital “charged Rs 16 lakh” for 15 days of treatment of dengue for a young daughter of his friend.

"One of my batchmate's 7 year old was in @fortis hospital for 15 days for dengue. Billed Rs 18 lakhs including for 2700 gloves. She passed away at the end of it. Corrupt a*******," he wrote.

The man had also written that the doctors charged the parents for 660 syringes, which adds up to almost 40 syringes a day.

After the tweet went viral Union Health Minister J P Nadda tweeted, “Please provide me details on . We will take all the necessary action.”

The hospital also allegedly denied an ambulance for the deceased child and refused to give a death certificate citing that the rule of Leaving Against Medical Advice (LAMA) had applied in this case.

“Fortis has not reported the casualty and Rockland gave me a ‘brought dead’ certificate. None of the hospitals has mentioned the cause of death as dengue,” Jayant told ANI.

Fortis hospital in a statement claimed that all standard medical protocols were followed in treating the patient.

“She was admitted with Severe Dengue which progressed to Dengue shock syndrome and was managed on IV fluids and supportive treatment as there was a progressive fall in platelet count and hemoconcentration. As her condition deteriorated, she had to be put on ventilatory support within 48 hours,” the hospital said in a statement.

The hospitals claims that it had explained the bill and handed it over to the family before they left.