India is taking on Australia in a four-Test series for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, while the series is currently locked 1-1 after two Tests. The third Test would be held in Sydney, followed by the fourth in Brisbane, while the latter seems to be under boycott threat.
The ongoing tour of Australia by India is being held under strict protocols amidst the tough times, owing to the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic. While the tour has been successful so far, the recent outbreaks Down Under has put the tour remainder in a spot of bother.
As of now, the four-Test series for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy is locked at 1-1 after the opening two Tests. While the third Test would be played in Sydney from Thursday, the fourth Test would happen in Brisbane.
Meanwhile, Sydney has seen a few recent outbreaks, as Queensland has sealed its borders. Furthermore, if reports are believed, the players might have to undergo a strict quarantine before the Brisbane Test.
Naturally, the Indians are not happy with this procedure and are reportedly mulling boycott calls for the Brisbane Test. In November, the Indians had already undergone a 14-day quarantine in Sydney following their arrival in Australia.
Sydney looked on the verge of losing the third Test to Melbourne at a point. However, now it looks like Brisbane is the venue in line to lose the fourth Test, which would lead to Sydney becoming the venue for the very Test.
Furthermore, a few Indian players are also in controversy for allegedly breaching the bio-bubble sphere in Melbourne, after they were spotted at a restaurant in the city. While the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Cricket Australia (CA) have placed the concerned players in isolation, they are further investigating the matter. The players could also be fined found guilty.
Meanwhile, John Barilaro, acting Premier of New South Wales, has said that the Sydney Test would be held with a crowd of up to 20,000. “We’re going to commit to the Test we have. If an opportunity arises post that, we’ll take that opportunity then,” he said, reports Reuters.
Meanwhile, Australian wicketkeeper-opening batsman, Matthew Wade, has said, “There’s a lot of talk out there, but for us, as a group and me, position personally, we’ll go Sydney and play the SCG and then, we’ll go the Brisbane and play the Gabba. Until the powers that be knock on the door and tell us that that’s going to change, we just roll onto the next game...”
Play The virtual Boat Racing Game and challenge yourself Click to Play Now
Last Updated Jan 3, 2021, 4:15 PM IST