Karnataka government in an official statement said that the flood situation has improved in the state, and water is receding. Meanwhile, the relief and rescue work in the state also is going on in full swing
Bengaluru: Karnataka government has issued an official update on the flood situation in the state and said inflows in the reservoirs are steadily decreasing.
The report also mentioned that the flood situation is normalising. The updates by the state BJP government claimed that the water has started receding in many flood-affected districts and that flood situation has improved. In Karnataka, 6.77 lakh people had been evacuated in the past week.
Chief minister BS Yediyurappa on Tuesday (August 13) visited flood-affected areas in his home district of Shivamogga.
The state government said relief operations were on in full swing, and senior officers camping in the districts were overseeing them and also visiting relief camps.
Several districts in the north, coastal and Malnad regions of the state had been badly hit by the flood and incessant rains, leaving a trail of destruction.
The rain fury has left 48 people dead in the state, while 16 are missing.
Flood waters of River Tungabhadra that had entered the ground level of the UNESCO world heritage site in Hampi, the erstwhile capital of the Vijayanagara kingdom, receded on Monday and there was no damage to the monuments, officials said.
A total of 2,217 villages in 86 taluks of 17 districts have been affected due to floods and rains in the state, where 1,224 relief camps have been opened providing shelter to nearly four lakh people.
As many as 41,915 houses have been damaged, and agriculture and horticulture crop loss (preliminary assessment) stands at 4.30 lakh hectares.
The state government has requested the Centre to immediately release Rs 3,000 crore.
"If we total all districts, the loss will be around Rs 40,000 to 50,000 crore. We have requested the Centre to release Rs 3,000 crore immediately," Yediyurappa said.
Last Updated 1:14 PM IST