- Farmer was watching Budget presentation live on TV
- As soon as the live airing ended, he allegedly committed suicide by hanging
- Here is the complete list of what Budget promised the farmers
Though projected as a popular Budget and various programmes for farmers, many have expressed their disappointment over not waiving off farmers loans.
Prakash, 30, a farmer from Mandya has hanged himself soon after watching the Budget presentation on TV. He waited for the budget live programme to be over and took the extreme step soon after.
A case in this regard has been filed at the Shivalli Police Station.
Prakash had taken loans as his crop was withering due to a lack of water. He even failed to get water from the borewell. Sources said that as all expected, he too was under the impression that the government will waive off farmers loans.
But when the Budget presentation ended without any allocations for waiving off loans, he was disappointed and took the extreme step, say sources.
With is development, many including the leaders of the opposition parties are asking the government to waive off farmers loans.
This is what Siddaramaiah offered the farmers in this Budget
1) Starting primary agriculture centres in every gram panchayat
2) Rs 13,500 crores allocated to give loans to 25 lakh farmers
3) Provision to provide agri-machines in discount rates
4) Continuation of giving agriculture loans in zero interest
5) 7 kg rice per family instead of 5 kg under Anna Bhagya (rice scheme)
6) Short term loans to farmers up to RS 3 lakh
7) Rs 600 crore allocated under Krishi Bhagya (agriculture scheme)
8) Rs 854 crore for Raita Suraksha Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema
9) Rs 375 crore for sprinkler irrigation
10) Rs 122 crore for agri-based machinery programme (Krishi Yantradhare)
11) Rs 100 crore for implementing improved technology in farming
12) Rs 10 crore for rural agriculture service centres
13) In total, Rs 5,080 allocated for agriculture department
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 7:01 PM IST