- 10 armed men storm into Nabha jail and free the Khalistan Liberation Force chief: Harminder Singh Mintoo on Sunday
- The men have said to have fired around 100 rounds
- Following this massive security breach, Punjab is on high alert
- A woman was killed in a case of mistaken identity when she jumped a barricade put up by the police
- Punjab government has announced a ₹25 lakh reward to any person providing info leading to the arrest of escaped prisoners
The Punjab government on Sunday suspended the Director General (Jails) and dismissed the Nabha Jail superintendent and deputy jail superintendent and announced a special task force to look into the Nabha jailbreak incident. The Times of India reports that Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal, said that the "DG Jails has been suspended and Jail Superintendent and Deputy Jail Superintendent have been dismissed."
According to ANI, the men wore police fatigues and fired over 100 rounds.
The Police force has arrived at the spot and the investigation currently is underway.
The gangsters who escaped were Gurpreet Singh, Vicky Gondra, Nitin Deol and Vikramjeet Singh Vicky. Police check posts have been set up in areas surrounding the jail and security has been heightened across the state, according to TV reports.
It was also reported that Mintoo was a high-profile criminal who was associated with the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) in Pakistan.
Mintoo was arrested by Punjab Police from Delhi's IGI Airport in 2014, in connection with 10 cases, including the 2008 attack on Sirsa-based Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh and recovery of explosives at Halwara Air Force station in 2010.
In what is a massive security breach, the incident took place in a maximum security prison at around 8.30 am.
It is also reported by ANI , that a civilian, a woman, was killed in a case of mistaken identity. She had jumped a barricade that the Pujab police force had put up.
PTI reports that Punjab government has announced a ₹25 lakh reward to any person providing info leading to the arrest of escaped prisoners.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:49 PM IST