Asianet NewsableAsianet Newsable

Sedition case slapped against former UP governor Aziz Qureshi for remark on Adityanath govt

The FIR was filed based on a complaint registered by BJP member Akash Saxena at Civil Lines police station in Rampur district, on Sunday night.

Sedition case slapped against former UP governor Aziz Qureshi for remark on Adityanath govt-dnm
Author
Lucknow, First Published Sep 6, 2021, 11:43 AM IST
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp

The Uttar Pradesh Police have booked a sedition case against former Uttar Pradesh governor Aziz Qureshi for his alleged derogatory remarks against the chief minister Yogi Adityanath-led government.

The FIR was filed based on a complaint registered by BJP member Akash Saxena at Civil Lines police station in Rampur district, on Sunday night.

Qureshi, who was a senior Congress member, had also served as the 15th governor of Mizoram in 2014-15. He was in Rampur to meet Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan’s wife Tazeen Fatima at her residence on Saturday.

According to the complaint, Akash Saxena alleged that Aziz Qureshi compared the UP government to a "demon" while addressing the media after the meeting.

The BJP leader has also claimed that the remarks made by Qureshi were intended to "create tension and spread hatred between two communities".

Also read: Uttar Pradesh govt plans to begin helicopter taxi services for tourist locations

"His intentional statement is becoming increasingly viral on social media, due to which the atmosphere of UP, including Rampur, is also likely to deteriorate," the BJP leader said.

The police have slapped Sections 153A [promoting enmity between two groups on grounds of religion, race etc], 153B [imputations, assertions prejudicial to national integration], 124A [sedition] and 505[1] [B]-[intent to cause fear or alarm to the public].

According to Rampur's Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sansaar Singh, "The complaint was lodged by Akash Saxena against former UP governor Aziz Queshi and after initial investigation the FIR was registered under relevant sections. We will take further action as per the law,” reported The Times of India.

Aziz had earlier said that the terror attack in Pulwama was a pre-planned conspiracy by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to win the Lok Sabha polls.

NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitize, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios