Actor Rajinikanth, who made a stunning U-turn and dropped his political plans last month after health scare, appealed to his fans today to stop pressuring him with protests and "not pain me again and again".

He said he has made up his mind and would not enter politics as he appealed to his fans to not organise any events to urge him to reconsider his decision, a day after they gathered in large numbers in Tamil Nadu's Chennai.

In a statement issued on Monday, Rajinikanth expressed his appreciation for having conducted the protest in a peaceful manner. “My heartfelt thanks to those who did not participate in the protest, in line with the leadership request. I have already elaborated on the reasons as to why I am not entering politics now. I have announced my decision. I humbly request you all to not conduct such events and force me to enter politics and cause me pain,” he said, in Tamil.

He also mentioned that the fact that several of his followers had participated in the protest against the leadership’s order pained him.

Rajinikanth had on December 29 announced that he will not be joining politics, three years after he had announced that he will be making his political entry.

The actor had released a three-page statement on Twitter, apologising to his admirers and members of the Rajini Makkal Mandram, a group that has been working on the ground ever since he announced his plans to enter politics in 2017 after years of speculation.

The actor had announced on December 29 that he would not enter politics given his health condition as well as the coronavirus pandemic. “With regret, I’ve to say that I can’t start a political party. Only I know the pain of making this decision. Without entering politics, I will serve people,” Rajinikanth had said in his statement in Tamil.

Rajinikanth underwent a kidney transplant in 2016 and he was admitted to Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad on December 25, 2020, following complaints of severe blood pressure fluctuations and exhaustion. He came back to Chennai after his discharge on December 27. The actor was advised to avoid activities that could increase his chances of contracting Covid-19.