In a shocking incident at Maharashtra's government hospital, 10 children were charred to death. The fire in the SNC unit was said to be due to a short circuit. Following the incident, CM Uddhav Thackeray announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5L to kin of the dead besides ordering a probe into the incident.
After a fire at Bhandara government hospital in Maharashtra, 10 newborns were charred to death.
The incident was reported at 1.30 am Saturday night from Bhandara District General Hospital in Maharashtra.
Preliminary reports say that the cause of fire could be due to short circuit at the Sick Newborn Care Unit in which babies from 3-day-old to 3 months died.
Amidst thick black smoke and fire, the staff managed to rescue 7 children.
Following the incident, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has immediately announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5L to the kin of the dead and also had ordered for a probe into the inferno incident.
A staff from the hospital was quoted as saying, "In the early hours of Saturday morning, a nurse noticed smoke emanating from the ward. The hospital staff tried their best to save the children. Ten children have died, seven are safe. "
In the past, AMRI Hospital in Dhakuria, Kolkata also witnessed a major fire accident that occurred in the early morning of 9 December 2011.
The fire claimed 89 victims and was thought to have been caused by a short circuit in the basement.
Play The virtual Boat Racing Game and challenge yourself Click to Play Now
Last Updated Jan 9, 2021, 10:32 AM IST