Asianet News English

Disengagement has begun at Pangong Tso: Chinese mouthpiece

Amidst the ongoing border standoff in eastern Ladakh, India and Chinese troops have begun simultaneous and systematic disengagement at Pangong Tso.

Chinese mouthpiece Disengagement has begun at Pangong Tso-VPN
Author
New Delhi, First Published Feb 10, 2021, 5:41 PM IST
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp

Amidst the ongoing border standoff in eastern Ladakh, India and Chinese troops have begun simultaneous and systematic disengagement at Pangong Tso.

The withdrawal of troops is a part of an agreement reached during the ninth round of Corps Commanders-level meeting in Moldo on the Chinese side last month.

"Chinese and Indian border troops on the southern and northern shores of Pangong Lake began disengagement as planned on Wednesday according to the consensus reached during the ninth round of military commander-level talks," the Global Times said in a Twitter post citing China's Ministry of National Defence.

The Global Times is Beijing's mouthpiece.

However, India has not yet confirmed the developments, but sources said that Defence Minister Rajnath Singh may make a statement in Parliament. 

The troops of two neighbours have been engaged in a standoff since over 9 months at multiple locations in Ladakh region. The standoff had even led to a brutal clash in the Galwan Valley on June 15, wherein 20 Indian soldiers were killed while China also suffered huge casualties. But it has yet not revealed the figure.

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios