- Reliance Jio to withdraw Summer Surprise offer.
- Summer Surprise extended Jio Prime membership until 15 April.
- It offered three months of complimentary services until July-end.
1. India's regulatory body TRAI demanded the withdrawal of the Summer Surprise. The reason is touted to be the impact of its free services on the telecom sector. One such is licence fee collection, as per Livemint.
2. Jio has released a press statement announcing the withdrawal of the Summer Surprise. It said the services will end 'as soon as operationally feasible, over the next few days'.
3. However, those who have already subscribed to the Jio Summer Surprise or who subscribe to it until discontinuation will be able to avail of the offer. This means those who have already recharged with ₹303 will get all the benefits over the next three months.
4. As the Happy New Year offer ended on 31 March that was offering 1GB data/day and unlimited voice calls and SMS, the telco announced an extension of the offer until 15 April in the form of the Summer Surprise plan. The highlight of the plan was three more months of complimentary services until July-end on recharging with ₹303.
5. Over the past few months, telcos like Airtel, Vodafone, BSNL and others have been churning lucrative data tariff plans. It has been a win-win for customers. The new withdrawal announcement will bring some relief to telcos who have been struggling to combat Jio's free services.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:41 PM