Kerala: 24-year-old youth, who was on ventilator after eating shawarma, dies in Kochi
A 24-year-old youth who was on a ventilator at a private hospital in Kochi, following the consumption of shawarma died today afternoon.
Kochi: The youth hailing from Kottayam who was on a ventilator after experiencing health issues following the consumption of shawarma died this afternoon. The victim has been identified as Rahul D Nair. He was an employee of Kakkanad's Cochin Special Economic Zone (CSEZ) in Ernakulam.
The incident happened on Wednesday (Oct 18). He ordered shawarma online. After consuming, he started feeling discomfort and was admitted to a private hospital in Kakkanad. Later on, his health deteriorated and he was shifted to a ventilator. He ordered food from the Hotel Le Hayath in Mavelipuram.
Rahul's blood samples have been sent for testing. The hospital authorities have informed that the results of the expert examination will be available soon. He continued to remain on a ventilator in Sunrise Hospital, Kakkanad.
The victim's family filed a complaint against Hotel Le Hyatt in Mavelipuram. After this, the municipal health department came and sealed the hotel. Meanwhile, the Thrikkakkara police have started an investigation into this matter following the complaint.
The family's complaint is that he had food poisoning from Shawarma. However, the doctors said that the cause of death would be clear only after the blood test and postmortem report. Rahul ordered the food from the restaurant "Le Hayath" last Wednesday at about 9.30 p.m., according to family. The following morning, he experienced bodily discomfort, stomach ache, and vomiting, so he went to a hospital in Thrikkakara for treatment. He fainted out in his office on Sunday and was taken to the hospital.