Kuwait: On September 30, Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad Al-Sabah was sworn in as Kuwait's new emir.

According to reports, Sheikh Nawaf was visibly emotional as he addressed the National Assembly a day after the death of the emir who ruled for 14 years.

"The precious confidence that the people of Kuwait have entrusted in us will be guarded with our lives," the 83-year-old said after taking the oath of office.

Also read:  Coronavirus: India's active COVID-19 cases constitute 15.11% of total caseload, says Health Ministry

He pledged to "serve the nation" in the address before lawmakers, who sat socially distanced and in masks, in line with coronavirus precautions.

The remains of Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah are expected to arrive in Kuwait City later Wednesday (September 30), on a flight from Minnesota where he had been undergoing treatment in hospital since July.

Also read: Coronavirus: Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu says doing well after testing positive for COVID-19

Kuwait ruler Sheikh Sabah passed away on September 29. He was 91.

According to reports, Sabah stood out for his efforts at pushing for diplomacy to resolve a bitter dispute between Qatar and other Arab nations that continues to this day.

State television announced his death after playing Quranic prayers, with Royal Court minister Sheikh Ali Jarrah Al Sabah reading a brief statement, his hands shaking.