Food poison in Government BC girls hostel leaves 82 students sick

First Published 24, Oct 2017, 6:01 PM IST
Food poison in Govt BC girls hostel leaves 82 students sick
Highlights
  • Backward Class students living in girls hostel in Jaggampet became sick after eating poisoned food
  • 23 students were shifted to Kakinada GGH as their condition is said to be serious
  • The students fell sick after eating biryani with egg and potato curry on Sunday afternoon

82 BC (Backward Class) students ranging from Class 3 to Graduation became ill after eating poisoned food in the Government BC Welfare Girls Hostel in Jaggampet on Sunday. The condition of 23 girls is said to be serious and they have been shifted to Kakinada GGH (Government General Hospital) for better treatment.

According to Sakshi news, Jaggampet BC Welfare Girls Hostel has students studying from Class 3 to Graduation from backward agency areas in Visakhapatnam and East Godavari districts. The hostel has 131 students studying from Class 3 to Class 10 and 50 Intermediate and graduation students. Out of the 181 girls, 11 have gone home and there were 171 students in the hostel on that fateful day.

The hostel mess served the girls biryani with egg and potato curry in the afternoon and sambhar rice at night on Sunday. Many students suffered from fever that very night and the hostel mess served them khichidi on Monday morning for breakfast. 

Immediately the girls suffered vomiting and diarrhea and were taken to the local government hospital from where 23 girls were shifted to Kakinada GGH as their condition is said to be serious.

DMHO (District Medical and Health Officer) Dr. Chandraiah, BC Welfare officer Chinababu, RDO Visweswara Rao, MLA Jyothula Nehru, YSRCP Coordinator Muthyala Srinivas, Tahsildar Sivamma, Farm Labourers Society leader Karnakula Veeranjaneyulu and others visited the girls at the hospital.

 DMHO Dr. Chandraiah said that the condition of the students is stable and that they are being given treatment in Emergency, Casualty and Paediatric wards. He said that he ordered the Epidemic Cell to report on the food poisoning at Jaagampet BC Girls Hostel and assured the parents that they need not worry about the health of the students as they are all under good treatment and are recovering.

loader