Even as the Centre asked all states to replicate the best practices implemented by Karnataka to contain the coronavirus pandemic, the state witnessed an addition of 2,150 cases and 51 deaths in the past week
Bengaluru: Karnataka chief minister BS Yediyurappa has called for an emergency meeting of various officials and departments today (June 22) to discuss measures to control rising COVID-19 cases in Bengaluru.
COVID-19 tally crossed the 9,000-mark, with 453 new positive cases recorded in Karnataka in the last 24 hours, an official said on Sunday night (June 21).
“With 453 new cases, the COVID tally across the state shot up to 9,150, with 3,391 active cases after the number of discharged increased to 5,618, including 225 during the last 24 hours,” a state health department official said in Bengaluru.
The virus also claimed five more lives, taking the state's toll to 137 till date. Of the five deaths, four were men, with Bengaluru accounting for three, including a woman and Bidar two.
“Of the active cases, 77 are in the intensive care unit (ICU) at the designated hospitals across the state,” said the official in a statement.
Of the 12,872 new samples tested, 11,988 were negative and 453 positive.
Of the 453 fresh cases, Bengaluru Urban district accounted for 196, Ballari 40 and Kalaburagi and Vijayapura 39 each.
Of the 225 discharged during the day, 58 were from Bidar, 34 in Raichur, 26 in Dakshina Kannada and 17 in Bengaluru.
Bengaluru continues to have the highest number of active cases in the southern state at 796 after 411 were discharged so far.
Bengaluru’s local civic body the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) on Monday (June 22) has notified a total of 298 active containment zones within city limits, as on Sunday.
Kalaburagi has 491 active cases, followed by Yadgir 366 and Ballari 330.
Last Updated 22, Jun 2020, 11:56 AM