US President Donald Trump tweeted ‘All is Well’ after Iran launched retaliatory missiles at US bases in Iraq. Tensions rose amid USA and Iran following the killing of senior Iranian general Qassem Soleimani in a US airstrike last week.
Baghdad/ Washington: Iran, in retaliation for the killing of its top military commander Qasem Soleimani, launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military targeting two Iraqi bases.
A US official said that there were no initial reports of any casualties but an assessment of the impact of the strikes is underway. An initial report from an Iraqi security source indicated there were Iraqi casualties, but Iraqi security officials later told that there were no casualties among Iraqi security forces.
The number of casualties and whether the individuals were killed or wounded were not immediately clear.
Hours after Iran launched retaliatory short-range ballistic missiles at two bases in Iraq that housed American troops, US President Donald Trump on Tuesday (local time) said that "all is well" and announced he will be issuing a statement tomorrow morning.
"All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties and damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well-equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning," Trump tweeted.
Meanwhile, according to an initial assessment, the Iranian missiles struck areas of the al-Asad base that were not populated by Americans, a US military official and a senior administration official said.
Earlier, an Iraqi security source told CNN that there were casualties among the Iraqis at the base.
In light of the recent developments in the region, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said that it was restricting all civilian US aircraft from operating in the airspace over Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.
Last Updated 10:04 AM IST