- Man eats burger smeared with ghost chilly aka Bhut Jolokia puree
- Ends up with severe stomach ache and violent vomiting
- Doctors find a 2.5cm tear in his oesophagus
- Discharged from hospital after almost a month
Mostly, we all regret the following morning, after gorging on a spicy meal. This guy, on the other hand, ended up with a hole in throat.
Yes, you read that right: A. HOLE. IN. HIS. FREAKING. THROAT
How did this happen? Well, it all started when this American man in his late 40s, decided to eat a burger that was liberally smeared with the puree of ghost peppers, namely this dynamite, called the bhut jolokia.
Unsurprisingly, he found himself in the hospital because of severe stomach pain and intense vomiting. It was there that the doctors discovered a 2.5 cm gaping hole in his oesophagus.
However, oesophagus tear due to spicy food is few and far between. And when that does happen, a lucky few survive, as this man did. This condition, according to the Journal of Emergency Medicine is called the Boerhaave syndrome.
The man spent a month in hospital before eventually being discharged.
Also called as the ghost chilly, or pepper among others, the bhut jolokia was once a Guinness record holder in 2007 for being the spiciest chilly containing a Scoville heat of more than a million.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:52 PM IST