Mercedes hit & run case: Teenager granted bail
The teenager accused in the Delhi Mercedes hit and run has been granted bail by the court on a bail bond of Rs 5,000. His lawyers claim the teenager was depressed being away from home
The incident took place on April 4 when 32-year-old marketing executive Siddharth Sharma was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School and the speeding Mercedes hit him.
The accused who has now turned 18 years old on April 8 was earlier denied bail by the Juvenile Justice board on the grounds that the boy was a ‘repeat offender’ and declaring him a product of bad parenting. His father too was arrested after the incident but granted bail on April 19.
“On examination of CCTV footage, the possibility of knowledge to the accused juvenile offender that his extremely fast driving in a residential area can cause a death cannot be ruled out,” DCP (North) Madhur Verma said.
“Further, during the investigation, it emerged that it was not the first offence of rash and negligent driving by this accused juvenile. In the past too he was found driving in a rash and negligent way, thereby causing a road accident with another vehicle,” he said.
Last year, the minor was also challenged thrice — for over-speeding in April and June and wrong parking in February.