- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a historic decision to demonetise the 500 and 1000 rupee notes last week
In Uttar Pradesh:
- A 20-year-old woman committed suicide when her brother failed to get the cash exchanged.
- A 24-year-old woman committed suicide by hanging herself to the ceiling fan after failing to get the cash exchanged.
- A child died after the hospital asked the parents to deposit an advance of ₹10,000. The child's parents had only old currency notes.
- An old woman allegedly died while counting notes. She had almost ₹2.69 lakh (old currency) which was found next to her body.
- In another disturbing case, a young man who had just sold his land for ₹70 lakhs died of cardiac arrest soon after the announcement was made.
- Doctors refused to treat a child suffering with high fever after his parents ran out of ₹100 notes.
- A washerwoman, who had saved two ₹1,000 note died of shock when she reached the bank on the same day to deposit money.
- A businessman died of cardiac arrest soon after Modi's announcement.
- A 40-year-old woman committed suicide after she found out that the cash she had brought with herself to get exchanged was stolen.
- A 96-year-old man died while waiting in a queue.
- A 50-year-old woman committed suicide as she wasn't able to buy ration to feed the family.
- A 69-year-old man allegedly died of cardiac arrest while waiting in the queue to get the cash exchanged.
- A 47-year-old farmer died of heart attack while waiting in the queue.
- A 45-year-old farmer, who failed to exchange ₹3000 at the bank to send to his children for three consecutive days, committed suicide.
In Madhya Pradesh:
- A 69-year-old Vinay Kumar Pandey died while waiting in queue.
- A State Bank of India cashier died of heart attack.
- A hospital refused to admit an ill newborn child when parents failed to deposit new notes.
- A 72-year-old man died while waiting in queue.
In Andhra Pradesh:
- An 18-month-old infant died as the parents didn't have money to buy medicine.
- A newborn baby died when the ambulance refused to take the child on being given ₹500 and ₹1,000 note as payment.
- A woman who had some ₹54 lakh in cash committed suicide after hearing the announcement.
- A 45-year-old man died of heart attack as he had saved ₹35,000 as dowry for his daughter's wedding.
- In a tragic accident, a 45-year-old man fell off the from the second floor of the bank and died.
- A 75-year-old man died while waiting in the queue.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:32 PM