Ujjain: Uttar Pradesh gangster Vikas Dubey, the main accused in killing of eight policemen on July 3, has been arrested on Thursday (July 9) in Madhya Pradesh after a nearly week-long chase involving police across three states.

Vikas was caught in Ujjain around the same time two of his aides were killed in separate encounters in Uttar Pradesh. His closest aide, Aman Dubey, was killed yesterday.

Vikas is the prime accused in the encounter that took place in Kanpur last week, in which a group of assailants allegedly opened fire on a police team, which had gone to arrest him. Eight police personnel were killed in the encounter. 

Dubey, charged in 60 criminal cases including murder, kidnapping, extortion and rioting, had allegedly been alerted to the raid by local policemen and had set up an ambush.

“Vikas was going to Ujjain Mahakal temple when he was identified by security personnel. Police were informed, he confessed his identity after being pushed for it. He has been apprehended by police and interrogation is underway,” said Ashish Singh, Ujjain district collector.

The notorious gangster escaped after Friday's massacre. A massive hunt was launched and the bounty on him was raised to Rs 5 lakh.

Meanwhile, two aides of gangster Vikas were gunned down in separate encounters in Uttar Pradesh. While Kartikeya alias Prabhat was killed in Kanpur when he tried to flee from police custody, another aide of Vikas Dubey, Praveen alias Bauwa Dubey, was shot dead in an encounter in Etawah, police said.

“It is a big success for the police, Vikas Dubey is a cruel killer. Whole Madhya Pradesh Police were on alert. He has been arrested from Ujjain Mahakal temple. We have informed Uttar Pradesh Police,” said Narottam Mishra, Madhya Pradesh minister.