- Almost 26% of those who sought medical care with cold and fever had H1N1.
- The swine flu is showing signs of spread with 270 cases confirmed in four months.
The Health Department has issued Swine Flu (H1N1) alert after 18 person infected with the H1N1 in the past four months. The swine flu is showing signs of spread with 270 cases confirmed in this period.
Almost 26% of those who sought medical care with cold and fever had H1N1, according the Health Department. As many as six persons have died of Swine Flu in three weeks in Thiruvananthapuram district.
"The virus is showing some signs of change in behavior,” said Dr. Amar Fettle, state nodal officer of H1N1 control room. "But there are no major changes or mutation (of the virus)." The nodal officer felt that the rise in the number of cases reported could be attributed to the favorable climatic conditions.
The government has ensured that anti-viral medicines are available in all hospitals in the state, including government and private hospitals and in community health centres.
The health department has issued guidelines to health workers, professionals and general public.
- Should seek professional care if mild influenza, cough, cold and fever persist even after a reasonable time.
- People with flu should stay home and keep away from crowded public places.
- follow the cough/cold etiquette to prevent the transmission of the virus. Cover face when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash hands with soap frequently.
- Drink more fluids.
- Pregnant women, children, elderly, and those with respiratory issues should take extra care.
- People with diabetes, renal diseases, hypertension and cardiac issues should take special care.
- Special care is recommended for those influenza patients with cancer or HIV.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:49 PM IST