Washing your hands in hotels? These can kill you as well!
- Cases of food poisoning have been rising in Bengaluru, but the causes seem to be overlooked.
- While most people avoid toilets, menu cards and door knobs are the culprits.
Gastroenterology experts from the city have been witnessing cases of food infection and poisoning. Interestingly, the cases are not due to the quality of food or water contamination. Rather the bacteria found on menus and door knobs at these restaurants seem to be to blame.
Dr Mallikarjun, Gastroenterologist at St John's Hospital says, the general thinking about people is that the toilet has more germs and bacteria and hence make it a habit of washing their hands there.
But there are other things that could also prove fatal.
"The door knobs, menu cards at hotel and restaurants and ATM keypad contain more germs. There are cases of people falling sick due to frequent vomiting and loose tools. Patient might have had clean food but when his/hers bare hands are exposed to germs from these risk factors, they end up in the hospital," said Dr Mallikarjun.
Bhavish, a patient who has come for a follow up to his treatment at the hospital, says he had Chinese food at a restaurant. The food was clean but the menu card there could have been a culprit.
"The menu cards are touched by many customers and there is a possibility of germs and bacteria getting into stomach along with food," said Bhavish.
Dr Ranganathm, HoD of Bengaluru Medical College and Research Institute emphasised on better hand hygiene to avoid such situation.
He said, cleaning hands with hand sanitizers or running water before eating will be a healthy habit.