People spent $65 billion on mobile apps this year; Here is the list of top-grossing mobile apps in India
According to mobile app store marketing intelligence firm Sensor Tower, the three top-grossing applications in the world today are TikTok, YouTube and Honor of Kings.
Mobile application makers earned a record $65 billion (around Rs 4,82,550 crore) from mobile phone users in the first half of 2021.
According to mobile app store marketing intelligence firm Sensor Tower, revenues drove Apple and Google app stores to thrive amidst the recent radar of antitrust curbs.
Initial figures suggest that $64.9 billion was spent on both the stores within the first six months, which is a 25% jump from the same period last year.
According to the company, $41.5 billion was spent on Apple's App Store in the first half of 2021 on subscriptions and other apps, including in-app purchases.
By the end of June, the Google Play Store is expected to make $23.4 billion. This year saw an 18% increase in spending on mobile games, touching $44.7 billion.
Sensor Tower said that while consumer spending in mobile games has grown at a slower pace than last year, this does not point towards a downturn for the industry. Instead, it indicates a normalisation after the surge in interest during the extraordinary circumstances of the covid-19 pandemic.
Epic Games, the creators of Fortnite, are trying to get Apple to open the App Store to third parties, which are seeking to circumvent Apple's procedures payment systems and their commission and also break its tight grip on its App Store.
Here are the three top-grossing apps in the world today:
1. TikTok: Top-grossing non-game mobile application where users spent roughly $920 million on the app.
2. YouTube: Owned by Google and is the second biggest non-game generator of revenue; $565 million spent on the platform.
3. Honor of Kings: Owned by the Chinese firm Tencent, this was the top-grossing mobile game. It generated over $1.5 billion in the first half of this year.
Top-grossing mobile apps in India (iOS)
2. LinkedIn-Business Networking
7. Call of Duty: Mobile
8. Bumble-Dating and Meet People
9. Marvel Contest of Champions
10. Top War: Battle Game
Top-grossing mobile apps in India: Android
1. Garena Free Fire: Rampage
3. Google One
4. Teen Patti Octro
5. Tango-Live Video Broadcast and Streaming
6. Coin Master
8. eFootball PES 2021
9. Call of Duty: Mobile
10. Candy Crush Saga
(Data as of June 29, 2021)