- Chennai metro rail is the most expensive in the whole of India.
- Each train has a capacity of 1,200 passengers
Amid euphoria about the opening of the underground stretch of metro line from Koyambedu to Shenoy Nagar next week, people are reminded of the trials and tribulations that the project faced right from its inception to execution. However, there are certain lesser known facts that will take you surprise regarding the planning and the expanse of the project. So, here are some interesting facts about the Chennai metro rail services:
- The Chennai metro rail may have the option of operator-free services. Although, they will be operating the train for a few initial months.
- Physically challenged passengers can request for longer stoppages by pushing a button
- Once complete, the two routes will cover 23 kilometers from Wannarapet to Airport, and 21 Kms from Chennai Central to St. Thomas Mount. Chennai Metro Rail is the most expensive metro rail service in India. The passengers have to pay Rs 40 for 10 kilometers whereas the same distance is covered in Delhi and Bangalore for a price of Rs 23 and Rs 18 respectively.Each train has a capacity of more than 1200 passengers.
- The final structure will cover 32 stations-19 underground and 13 elevated
- The first train's operator was a woman- A Preethi who was trained for a year and a half on the operation panel
Little is known of the challenges that lie ahead once the two metro corridors are complete. The transport system will transport close to 45,000 commuters per hour. This could have a direct effect on the parking spaces, which could lead to chaos.
Experts believe that not enough parking spaces have been assigned, which is tampering with the spaces in residential areas like Tirumangalam and Anna Nagar that are located closer to the metro station. While metro officials are trying to acquire land around the metro precincts, they are unable to do so because of legal issues.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:32 PM IST