- 40 Indian workers went missing from Iraq's Mosul three years ago
- All were held captive by ISIS terrorists till one managed to escape
- Remains of the other 39 - killed, buried in a mass grave, have been found
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said all Indians stand in solidarity with the families of the 39 Indians killed in Mosul in Iraq and the government is "fully committed" to ensure the safety of Indians abroad.
"Every Indian grieves with those who lost their loved ones in Mosul. We stand in solidarity with the bereaved families and pay our respects to the Indians killed in Mosul.
"The MEA and particularly my colleagues @SushmaSwaraj Ji and @Gen_VKSingh Ji left no stone unturned in trying to trace and safely bring back those we lost in Mosul," the PM said in a series of tweets.
He added that the government remains fully committed to ensuring the safety of "our sisters and brothers overseas".
In a statement in the Rajya Sabha earlier on Tuesday, Swaraj confirmed the deaths of the 39 missing Indians and said the Iraqi authorities had matched the DNA samples of 38 people. In the case of the 39th person, the matching was 70 percent.
In a press briefing later, she did not give a direct reply to a volley of questions on when the Indians were killed, saying it was irrelevant as the bodies could have been recovered only after Mosul was liberated from the ISIS. Mosul city was released from ISIS in June last year.
Last Updated 7:11 PM IST