A major fire broke out at the Oberon Mall in Kochi on Tuesday but the police said that all people inside have been safely evacuated.

The blaze was reported from the fourth floor of the mall at Edapally. It started from one of the restaurants at the food court and spread across the floor immediately.

The mall also houses a multiplex where shows were on at the time of the incident. The fire was brought under control by the Fire and Rescue Services personnel. 

"The blaze has been controlled and people in the mall and multiplex have been safely evacuated," Kochi police commissioner MP Dineshan said. There was a lot of smoke inside the structure, and glass panes were broken to release the fumes, Dineshan said, adding that the cause of the fire would be probed. 

A fire department official said the flames were suspected to have erupted from a kitchen duct. Apart from the food court, the fourth floor also housed some mobile and textile shops.

(with PTI inputs)