- Yousuf and his mother Suhara Bi had purchased the candy from a bakery at the Kozhikode bus stand
- They started vomiting on reaching home and had severe diarrhoea the same night
Yousuf and his mother Suhara Bi (41), who hail from a village near Koilandy, had purchased the candy from a bakery at the Kozhikode bus stand on April 13 and consumed it while going back home. They started vomiting on reaching home and had severe diarrhoea that night, following which they were admitted to a hospital in Kappad, the police said.
As their condition worsened, they were referred to the Kozhikode Medical College hospital on Friday night. The boy died en route to the hospital, while the mother is still in critical condition, according to the police.
Yousuf's body was handed over to his relatives on Saturday after post-mortem.
Meanwhile, the shop has been sealed and samples of jelly candy were taken by officials for analysis, the police said, adding the exact cause of the boy's death would be confirmed only after the post-mortem report is obtained.
Following the incident, the sale of jelly candy has been temporarily banned in Kozhikode.
(with PTI inputs)
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:51 PM IST