City roads will get a facelift in 4 months: Minister George

karnataka | Friday, November 3rd, 2017
Team Asianet Newsable
Highlights
  • The Ballari Road, old airport road and old Madras road, including the 500 km white topping road will be open for public transport.soon
  • Pedestrian walks, underground sewage, rain water harvesting canals civil works and Hennur Road over bridge will be ready by December
  • Around 96 per cent of potholes are filled up in the City and remaining 4 per cent will be covered by Nov 6

The Ballari Road, old airport road and old Madras road, including the 500 km white topping road will be open for public transport soon and in the next 3 to 4 months the main roads of the City will have a totally new look, assured Urban Development Minister KJ George, reports Kannada Prabha.

He was speaking to news persons after holding progress review meeting at the Chief Minister’s home office Krishna where officials from BBMP, BDA, BWSSB and MBRCL participated. He said 1,500 km strech main roads are being white topped and out of this 500 km has been approved for civil works. The record rain has created havoc in the City and hence civil works were delayed. The high density roads like Ballari Road, Old airport road, old Madras road will be open for traffic from Dec 10. Pedestrian walks, underground sewage, rain water harvesting canals civil works and Hennur Road over bridge will be ready by December, he assured.

 

 

The outer ring road is being made signal-free. But land problems are severe. Even at double the rates land is not available. At Wind Tunnel Junction and at Suranjan Das Circle land belongs to HAL and ISRO. There are issues in acquiring the land here, he said.

Around 96 per cent of potholes are filled up in the City and remaining 4 per cent will be closed by Nov 6. Mayor has set the deadline for closing potholes as on Nov 6. Chief Minister is expected to make a surprise visits and any lapse of work, the chief engineer concerned will be suspended, he said.

Meanwhile, the record rain has filled most of the tanks to capacity. Bellandur and Varthur lakes are also full and water is flowing backwards in the canals. The BDA officials are instructed to construct 4 gates to allow rain water to flow into the tanks. The Hennur Bridge which is under construction at a cost of Rs 128 crores will be ready in 2 months. The delay was due to several court cases and shifting of a temple from the site, he said.

 

Comments 0
Add Comment

    Bike race in Chennai, claims the life of one

    tamil-nadu | Saturday, June 23rd, 2018