3-year-old dies of alleged drug overdose at city hospital

First Published 11, Sep 2017, 7:10 PM IST
3 year old dies of alleged drug overdose at city hospital
  • Bengaluru is known as the health care city but is in the news for growing case of medical negligence
  • Recently, a three-year-old boy who was taken to the hospital for fever, died within a few hours of being admitted
  • Parents have alleged that their child died due to the a medicine overdose from the doctors

Parents and relatives of three-year-old Pretish have alleged that doctors treating their son for fever at Manjushree Speciality Hospital have allegedly killed their son by the administering an overdose of medicine.

On September 3 (Sunday), Pretish celebrated his birthday and on 6 (Wednesday) at 9:30 am was taken to Manjushree Speciality Hospital on St John's Road in Bengaluru East area. The parents say the child was taken only for consultation, but the authorities at the hospital insisted on admitting him.

"We admitted Pretish and got him idlis. Later he was put on drips. Within half hour, he started shivering. The hospital nurses asked us to wait outside, and after 20 minutes the hospital authorities said that my son died. We were in shock and did not know what to do. We got our son to treat for fever, but the hospital has killed my son," alleged Vinod,  the victim's father.

Senthil Kumar, social worker and neighbour of Vinod rushed to the hospital and saw the family in tears. He said the hospital was trying to wash their hands from the case and wanted the family to move out from the hospital at the earliest.

 "We suspected that there was something fishy when we went to get the clarification from the hospital authorities. They called the police and wanted them to chase us out and hence we decided to file a complaint against the hospital," he said and added there will be a candle light vigil and parents and relatives of other victims who have died here will also be traced and asked to join for the protest in a day of two.

He added, “The health minister should open his eyes and check such hospitals.If he fails to do so, he should resign.”

 T Narasimha Murthy, a legal expert and RTI activist who was approached by the family members to file a case at the Commercial Street Police Station. "The police have now booked a case under section 174 C as per Supreme Court guidelines. However, they have failed to get a post-mortem copy and give further details and follow up with the case. As per the SC guidelines, within 24 to 48 hours the post mortem has to be conducted and if they find any evidence, the case should be booked under section 304 part B of IPC which stands for culpable homicide not amounting to murder," said Murthy.

However, the hospital administration has refuted the allegation and said, there is no case against the hospital, and the hospital treated the child only with the intention to save as it was brought to the hospital in a very serious condition.

"The child was brought with high fever, and upon investigation, we came to know the child had pneumonia. The medicine and drugs that were given by our staff were to save the child.  If parents think that the treatment was wrong then let them tell us what is correct, we will do it like that," said a top official from the hospital.

The police say a complaint was filed and accordingly a case was also registered. "We are waiting for post-mortem report for further investigation," said an officer from Commercial Street Police Station.