Mumbai: On Monday (October 12) late night, a massive fire broke out at a private hospital in Mulund, due to which authorities shifted 40 patients to nearby hospitals, according to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation. One patient who was shifted to another hospital died; the BMC confirmed.

The officials added that the fire, which was attributed to overheating of a generator set at the Apex Hospital, has been extinguished.

"We have five nursing homes in Mulund area. One of them in Apex hospital on Monday where a generator caught fire due to which three critical patients who were on ventilators were shifted and one of them died on the way. I also got to know that the condition of another patient is very serious," BJP MLA Mihir Kotecha said.

More details are awaited.