Meghalaya Dy CM Sniawbhalang Dhar assured tourist taxi operators the govt would resolve their grievances with Assam by Sep 10. The assurance comes after taxi drivers blockaded Assam-registered vehicles over parking issues and fines in Guwahati.
Govt to Resolve Taxi Operators' Grievances
Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar on Sunday assured tourist taxi operators that the State government would take up their grievances with Assam authorities and make efforts to resolve the issues by September 10.
Dhar gave the assurance after meeting representatives of various tourist taxi associations following a blockade of Assam-registered vehicles by taxi drivers at Lad Umroi. Describing the meeting as "very fruitful", Dhar said the associations had raised several difficulties faced by Meghalaya tourist taxi operators while travelling to Assam, including parking-related problems and the imposition of fines.
"Their problems are genuine. By September 10, I will call a meeting with the Commissioner and Secretary of Transport, senior officials of Home, both Deputy Commissioners and the concerned authorities from Assam and Meghalaya. We will try to resolve all the problems they are facing in Assam," Dhar said.
Union Highlights Parking Woes, Attacks
President of the All Shillong Taxi Union, A B Sangma, said the union had highlighted issues faced by Meghalaya vehicles in Guwahati, particularly the lack of parking facilities and fines imposed on drivers. Sangma also alleged that Meghalaya vehicles were attacked at Jorabat despite assurances that vehicles from the state would not be targeted.
Ensuring Free Movement and Assessing Damage
Dhar said the government would also explore measures to ensure that tourists could travel freely between Assam and Meghalaya as they had done previously.
On the damage caused to vehicles during the recent incidents, Dhar said both sides had withdrawn their blockades and that the government was assessing the losses. "We have sought the details. Based on the damage, the MVI has to assess it. We are yet to get the number. Everything will be done as per law," he said.
Situation Normalizing Amid Tensions
The Deputy Chief Minister said the situation in Shillong was returning to normal and that Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma would take the final call on further measures.
The developments come amid heightened tensions between Assam and Meghalaya following incidents involving vehicles from the two states. Authorities have been working to prevent further escalation and restore normal movement of people and vehicles between the neighbouring states. (ANI)
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianet Newsable English staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)