Asianet News English

French Open 2021: Roger Federer pulls out to focus of grass season

First Published Jun 7, 2021, 10:28 AM IST
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp

Switzerland’s Roger Federer is a 20-time Grand Slam winner and is modern-day tennis great. He participated in the ongoing French Open and made it through to the pre-quarters before pulling out to focus on his recovering knee and the upcoming grass season.

In what comes as a shock for tennis fans, Roger Federer of Switzerland has decided to pull out of French Open 2021. The decision comes as he looks to avoid giving extra pressure on his just-recovered knee while he aims to be fit for the upcoming grass season and the Wimbledon Grand Slam, where he wishes to win his 21st Slam and his ninth at the event.

In what comes as a shock for tennis fans, Roger Federer of Switzerland has decided to pull out of French Open 2021. The decision comes as he looks to avoid giving extra pressure on his just-recovered knee while he aims to be fit for the upcoming grass season and the Wimbledon Grand Slam, where he wishes to win his 21st Slam and his ninth at the event.

Federer underwent knee surgery last year and has been out of action for more than a year. Roland Garros was his first Slam appearance in over a year.

Federer underwent knee surgery last year and has been out of action for more than a year. Roland Garros was his first Slam appearance in over a year.

However, Federer had made it clear before the tournament that he does not wish to win the event and would treat it as a platform for warm-up. He has had a decent ride so far, qualifying for the pre-quarters where he was scheduled to take on Italy’s Matteo Berrettini.

However, Federer had made it clear before the tournament that he does not wish to win the event and would treat it as a platform for warm-up. He has had a decent ride so far, qualifying for the pre-quarters where he was scheduled to take on Italy’s Matteo Berrettini.

“After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of Roland Garros today. After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation, it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery. I am thrilled to have gotten three matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back on court,” Federer announced on Twitter.

“After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of Roland Garros today. After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation, it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery. I am thrilled to have gotten three matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back on court,” Federer announced on Twitter.

FO tournament director Guy Forget also expressed his sadness over Federer’s pullout. “The Roland Garros tournament is sorry about the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who put up an incredible fight last night. We were all delighted to see Roger back in Paris, where he played three high-level matches. We wish him all the best for the rest of the season,” he said.

FO tournament director Guy Forget also expressed his sadness over Federer’s pullout. “The Roland Garros tournament is sorry about the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who put up an incredible fight last night. We were all delighted to see Roger back in Paris, where he played three high-level matches. We wish him all the best for the rest of the season,” he said.

Federer would next be in action at the Halle Open (ATP 500 series) from June 14. He has won the tournament on ten occasions and would be vying for his 11th before shifting the focus to Wimbledon.

 

NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona

Federer would next be in action at the Halle Open (ATP 500 series) from June 14. He has won the tournament on ten occasions and would be vying for his 11th before shifting the focus to Wimbledon.

 

NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios