MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli are two of the most celebrated players of Indian cricket. This ensures that the franchises for which they two players play for will always have excellent support from the fans. A clash between these two players is just the icing on the cake. The RCB-CSK clash is one of the most awaited encounters of the IPL, and the matches always created a buzz.
The Chennai Super Kings will see Match 24 of VIVO IPL 2018 as an opportunity to return to the top of the standings when they take on the Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Chennai Super Kings starts as favourites on Bangalore’s home turf, and Bangalore again needs something spectacular to pull off a win for themselves, or it would be hard for them going ahead in the tournament. Super Kings, on the other hand, will look to cement their position even more.
Chennai looks like they are back on track, having won 4 out of their 5 matches, sitting second on the points
table. In their last match against Sunrisers, Raina and Rayudu played really well to get to the score of 180+ on the Hyderabad pitch. For bowling, Deepak Chahar was Dhoni’s man, taking 3 wickets and giving away only 15 runs in 4 over quota allotted to him.
In their last game, Royal Challengers Bangalore were unusually clinical. While the bowlers leaked out some runs in a batting friendly pitch, RCB responded strongly with a solid run chase thanks to the heroics of AB de Villiers. RCB met the 175 runs target with two overs to spare, that shows the dominance that they had in the game on Saturday. The very next day, it was Chennai Super Kings’ turn as they put out an all-around performance to see off any challenge by Sunrisers Hyderabad. After posting a competitive total of 182 runs, the ‘seniors’ of the tournament held their nerve before restricting SRH for 178.
- Chennai Super Kings have won 13 of the 21 matches between the two fierce IPL rivals, with Royal Challengers Bangalore claiming just seven Cauvery Derby victories.
- In Bengaluru, it has been much more even, however, with each team winning three matches apiece in IPL history.
- Despite Virat Kohli being one of four batsmen to have passed 230 runs already in this year's competition, Royal Challengers Bangalore have won just two of their first five matches - Chennai Super Kings have won four and are second in the IPL table.
RCB vs CSK Team News
Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Quinton de Kock does not have enough runs under his belt, while Corey Anderson has been a disappointment. Also, Mohammed Siraj has been ineffective.
- Parthiv Patel, Tim Southee and Colin de Grandhomme are all in contention to take slots of those above.
Chennai Super Kings
- CSK is most likely to field the same XI that faced Sunrisers Hyderabad on Sunday.
RCB vs CSK Probable Playing XI:
Chennai Super Kings: Shane Watson, Faf Du Plessis/Sam Billings, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (c & wk), Dwayne Bravo, Ravindra Jadeja, Deepak Chahar, Karn Sharma/Harbhajan Singh, Imran Tahir, Shardul Thakur
Royal Challengers Bangalore: Quinton De Kock (wk), Manan Vohra/Parthiv Patel, Virat Kohli (c), AB De Villiers, Corey Anderson/Colin de Grandhomme, Mandeep Singh, Washington Sundar, Chris Woakes, Umesh Yadav, Mohammad Siraj, Yuzvendra Chahal
Royal Challengers Bangalore:
- Both Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers have amassed more than 200 runs in the competition so far.
- Umesh Yadav and Chris Woakes have picked 8 wickets apiece.
Chennai Super Kings:
- Ambati Rayudu played a brilliant knock in the last match and is the only CSK batsman with over 200+ runs.
- Deepak Chahar, Shane Watson and Shardul Thakur have picked 6 wickets each.
Royal Challengers Bangalore have won two of their first three home matches, despite their below-par start to this year's tournament. Chennai, however, has won four of their five games and boast a great record in the Cauvery Derby. Though RC Bangalore are favourites, Chennai - with Shane Watson in top form with bat and ball - could upset the odds.
Last Updated 25, Apr 2018, 11:10 AM IST