- Students were brought to hospital with vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhoea
- As many as 26 students admitted to Government Medical College Hospital
The principal of G V Raja Sports School at Thiruvananthapuram was suspended after about 70 inmates, aged between 12 to 17 years, were taken ill following food poisoning on Saturday.
As many as 27 students were admitted to Government Medical College Hospital and four students to a government hospital in the city. The students said that the food served was of poor quality.
Director of Public Instruction suspended the principal of the school L Sasikala after it was found that she failed to inform the incident to the higher-ups and to provide immediate medical support to students who fell ill after having stale food.
The Food Safety Commissioner conducted a preliminary probe into the issue and stated the principal did not cooperate with the investigation and that she had turned a blind eye towards the anomalies in the operation of the mess. Following the preliminary report, the Food Safety Commissioner temporarily closed down the mess. The school will remain closed till 3 August.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:41 PM IST