In a breakthrough in the Jishnu death probe, the forensic analysis proved that the blood group of the blood stains found in the 'torture room' of the Nehru College of Engineering matched with that of the deceased B.Tech student. The investigation team is now planning to conduct DNA analysis of the blood stains to substantiate the primary results.

Related: Your visit can wait, arrest accused first: Jishnu's mother to Kerala CM

 The college management informed the police and parents that Jishnu committed suicide after he was caught copying in examinations. The police initially were of the view that it was a case of suicide. Later, when the death created an outrage in the state, the police registered a case of suspicious death as his parents and friends alleged that Jishnu was tortured and killed by the college management. They also wanted to slap murder case against the management. 

Related: Jishnu was tortured, management conspired against him: Police

After the initial laxity, the police woke up and registered FIR with serious charges against five teachers and chairman of the Nehru Group of Institutions. The student was taken to the board room of Nehru Engineering College and was tortured on the day he was found hanging, the police said. 

Related: End protests or find your kids in mortuary: College chairman warns parents

Krishna Das, the chairman of the Nehru College, also tried to tamper evidence by erasing footage of surveillance camera by destroying the hard disk, the police report said. The accused also washed the blood stains off the walls and floor of the board room, where Pranoy was tortured.  

Related: Colleges or concentration camps? Tragedy of higher education in Kerala

The investigation team also found that the College chairman also tried to mislead the officials of A P J Abdul Kalam Technological University, who inquired about the incident.  


Jishnu Pranoy, B.Tech student of Nehru College of Engineering, Pampady in Thrissur was found hanging in the toilet of his hostel room early in January this year. The death whipped up students agitations across the state and the government forcing the government to sit up and listen. 

The police had alleged that the accused cleaned the blood stains off the walls and floor of the board room, where Jishnu Pranoy was tortured.