A fire incident in the early morning hours at a plush city hotel located on Residency Road caused a major traffic-logjam on Monday.
The fire reportedly broke out in the basement of Chancery Pavilion, following which the hotel guests were evacuated and emergency services were called in.
According to fire officials, the hotel staff noticed thick smoke billowing from the basement of the five-star hotel and immediately raised an alarm.
The fire and rescue personnel believe that a short-circuit in the basement led to the fire.
M N Reddi, Director-General (Fire and Emergency Services) along with senior police officers supervised the rescue operation. A team of supervisors found that entry and exit in the hotel was blocked by waste and goods.
It can be noted that Reddi had recently issued notices to high-rise buildings in the city to ensure fire safety measures.
The fire at the hotel caused a major traffic jam and according to eyewitnesses, the stretch was clogged for hours following the incident.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 7:03 PM