- Hubballi’s DC of Commercial Taxes tried to tell the ACB officers that his wife was running a saree business
- When questioned, the couple did not have any documents for running the saree business
- ACB also raided the houses of six other officers in Karnataka
Sarees worth crores of rupees were found by the ACB in its raid on Deputy Commissioner of Commercial Tax Department, Kariyappa Lingappa When asked officer’s wife initially told that she runs a saree business. But later on further questioning, she was not able to answer the queries and fell out of words as she did not have any documents for running the saree business.
Apart from sarees, the ACB officers also found a number of documents of the properties Kariyappa had owned. Also, there were documents of properties in the name of his wife and relatives too. To add to this, the raiding officers even found a large quantity of gold and silver jewellery, shoes, watches and other accessories.
However, the ACB officers had a different opinion on the pile of sarees they found in Kariyaappa’s house. One of the officers said that these sarees might not have been owned by the DC’s wife, but the DC himself might have confiscated the lots from shops during the commercial taxes raid.
The couple has two children, and both are studying abroad.
The ACB also conducted raids at the following officer's houses:
1) KT Nagaraj, Chief Engineer BBMP
2) PD Kumar, Executive Engineer BDA
3) Saleem Sashi Saab, Deputy Tahsildar, Belagavi
4) M B Karunakara, Senior MV Inspector, Chitradurga
5) Jagannath, Executive Officer Taluk Panchayat office, Bidar
6) Shivakumar Dolin, Panchayat Development Officer, Gadag
Details on the materials and cash confiscated are awaited.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:57 PM